Skip to main content

What it's like to relocate your life

Auckland vs. Dubai



"Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose."


Like many privileged kids, I have lived most of my life in a comfortable suburban bubble. Until I was about 19, I never gave much consideration to the rest of the world, and only now do I truly appreciate the things that I once so carelessly took for granted. Somehow my mindset changed during recent years, (I think studying had a lot to do with it) and I decided it was time to implement some change. I recently relocated halfway across the world for a job. I didn't know a single person where I was going, and I had a month to plan an abrupt relocation. Even though it sounds somewhat bizarre, as if finding the right job is really worth moving away from your home for, personally it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Some of us have it, and some of us don't - that longing to experience more than what is familiar and comfortable. For those of you who have felt it, you will know what I'm talking about. I'm from New Zealand, and even though I am irrevocably proud of where I come from, quite often I have felt as though I would never appreciate where I was from, unless I knew what it felt like to be absent from it - and not just another city, but somewhere completely different. Not that I was necessarily unhappy at home. I am extraordinarily blessed to have friends that I consider family. I was craving a culture shock, after having lived my whole life in one community.

Life in New Zealand is so easy-going, and often the secluded tranquility of the place is easy to take for granted, because it is so far away from other countries, making it difficult (expensive and time-consuming) to travel and experience other cultures and perspectives. Some people feel that their life and community is all that matters - "Who cares what's out there?" Ignorance can be bliss - but discovery can be too.

"Have less. Do more. Be more."


That quote has become synonymous with me since moving away from home. After I had graduated from university in Auckland in 2014, I felt lost, as I'm sure 95% of graduates do. For four years, studying had been my life - my goal - what I was always working towards - and then all of a sudden it was gone. I applied for countless jobs, and attended interviews with high hopes, but never managed to seal a deal. It is the most unsettling feeling not being able to find your place, and having to deal with an overlapping of rejection (not to mention people out there who, unlike myself, do not even have the opportunity to study at university).

Eventually I began to resent myself and my country, ultimately blaming society for the fact that I was being unappreciated after all of my efforts. What's more, school certainly wasn't for me, and I always hoped that adult life would bring me some justice. But I realize now that the rejection process is common and only natural, and that any kind of success can only be achieved by proving yourself worthy of it.

I had always dreamed of living abroad, but never actually thought that I could achieve it. Both of my siblings had achieved it by living in countries such as Australia and the UK, so I figured, why shouldn't I try it myself? I had come to terms with the fact that ideal employment in Auckland was not looking very likely, so I decided to see what else was out there. I don't have any outstanding abilities except for the fact that I can write reasonably well (thanks to an English major), so I decided to search for jobs in countries where English is not the first language, because then my native English skills would be seen as an advantage, as opposed to a regular commodity. I had my heart set on journalism.

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."


Hong Kong came to mind, as did Europe, and Southeast Asian countries like Singapore and the Philippines. I also considered the MENA region (Middle East & North Africa). I was considered for a job in Germany, but the employer was put-off by how far away I was in NZ, and the process of relocation, deciding it was easier to hire locally. The problem with the Asian countries was that most of them required the applicant to know English as well as the native Asian language. There also appeared to be a language barrier in most African countries.

However, I came across an advertisement from Dubai, UAE. Dubai is great for native English speakers because it consists of a large amount of expatriates all united by the English language (for business and trade purposes with the western world) - and those who can utilize the English language with some superiority, are considered to be of good use. I applied for a job in Dubai as a Content Writer for a magazine as a long shot, never thinking that I would actually be considered for an editorial position without any experience. But within two weeks of my application, I received feedback from the company expressing their interest to take my application further.

It was my English & New Media major that ultimately helped me land the job. For one, NZ has a great reputation around the world, therefore an NZ qualification is taken seriously. Secondly, to complete my degree, I was tasked with finding an internship that related to my major. At first I freaked out a bit at the thought of an internship, and was initially rejected by Oxfam. But rather than give up, I applied to the United Nations Association of New Zealand (UNANZ) and (to my surprise) was offered a placement with the freedom to basically create my own role.

I created a personal blog site with research related to the UNANZ National Conference held at Wellington Parliament which I attended (link). It was valuable experience that taught me to juggle work, study and an internship. Time management, in my opinion, is an exceptionally valuable skill to have. I was overwhelmed with contentment and a sense of achievement when I accepted the offer in Dubai, without any hesitation. I was given a month to plan my relocation to Dubai. I went into sustained shock mixed with anxiety and excitement.






LETTING GO OF FAMILIARITY

Once I got over the initial shock of realizing that my whole life was about to change, my anxiety diminished and I felt eager and motivated, and had to initiate some serious planning. I first had to figure out how to get to Dubai, and where I was going to live. The great thing about getting a job in Dubai, is that in most cases, employers will sort out your visa for you. It's common here. In fact, I didn't have to contribute to any planning for my visa at all before I arrived. Another good thing about securing a job before you move country, as opposed to finding a job when you get there, is that often the employer will also pay for your flight. In my case, I pretty much got a free trip across the world. No endless saving and counting pennies - I just packed up and left.

The most difficult part about moving to Dubai was finding a place to live. With such a high expatriate population, they are understandably strict about rent contracts, most often requiring a completed visa. I managed to get in contact with a real estate agent, but it was very difficult to contact him because of the 9 hour time difference, and he also spoke very poor English. It was a website called 'Dubizzle' that saved me. It's sort of like 'Trademe' in New Zealand - there is access to almost everything salable. In order to contact anyone, it had to be in the evening, which was the morning in Dubai - to allow for the time difference. Now that I'm in Dubai, I can only contact my friends and family in the morning, which is the evening for them.

SEPARATION FROM STUFF

While I was packing, I remember I suddenly noticed how fortunate I was (as cheesy as that sounds). I had accumulated so much stuff during my 23 years of existence, and all of it was present, because I had never had to move anywhere or downsize for any reason. Regarding packing, all I can advise to others is bring what will be useful. I only had a certain amount of space in my suitcase, so everything I took with me had to have some useful relevance. It was hard for me to let go of my material possessions, because they were all I had ever known (especially my sneaker collection).

But you come to realize that stuff is just stuff, and it can be replaced if need be. One of the surprisingly useful things that I took with me was a cutlery set. It's useful items that save you from having to purchase it when you get there. It's surprising how fast costs accumulate when you live alone. I also appreciated having photographs from home - it made me feel less alienated. You come to appreciate items such as cutlery, towels, linen - all things that you take for granted when living at home.

APPRECIATING A HELPING HAND

After my grueling 18 hour flight, I arrived in Dubai with my selected belongings, and caught a cab to a hotel I had arranged in Deira, old Dubai. I exchanged my New Zealand dollars for UAE dirhams, and at first struggled with how everyone in Dubai uses cash, whereas in NZ the norm is eftpos. The first night I spent in my hotel was a mixture of panic, excitement and anxiety, but also an incredible sense of achievement. I went crazy contacting friends from home using Skype, desperately seeking reassurance that I hadn't made a mistake. I had made it - everything I had been anticipating was suddenly very real.

I was lucky to have someone from work collect me on my first day. He took me to look at a couple of the places I had been in contact with on "Dubizzle" regarding accommodation. Driving around with him was cool because I got to get a taste of the city - it also made me realize how insanely vast Dubai is. I immediately noticed how flat the region is compared to mountainous Auckland. After checking out a couple of dud places, we looked at a place in Dubai Silicon Oasis, which was ideal because it was close to where I would be working. It's a studio that I'm currently living in - fully decked out with a rooftop pool, and gym. Not a bad monthly price either. It was half furnished - with a bed and a couch, washing machine, and fridge. I bought my own TV and bed linen. The first few nights I spent in my apartment felt strange because of how blatantly alone I was, but I've grown to like it. It's peaceful. Little things such as locals showing you where to buy groceries, or even unclogging the toilet (that was awkward!), help make life that little bit easier.

UNEXPECTEDLY PATRIOTIC

I started my job in Dubai as a Content Writer & Editor (sub) for a new magazine called "ZIWIRA". I was amazed at how culturally diverse the office was. I had never worked with so many non-New Zealanders before. Everyone was kind and welcoming, and very curious about why I had moved away from "such a beautiful country to work in the desert." Some of my colleagues were also puzzled at how I am not married (I assume its unusual to not be married at my age in Islamic culture?) But everyone has graciously applauded me for my courage to move here. It sort of made me feel guilty leaving my dad all alone back at home, but he has always been encouraging. There seems to be a common misconception around the world about the Middle East and the Islamic culture which has been tainted by extremist individuals who have damaged the Islamic reputation. Every Muslim I have met and worked with has been very open-minded, understanding, respectful, and curious about the culture in New Zealand.

I found myself endlessly talking about NZ which then made me love and respect my heritage so much more. Dubai is very progressive, and hard work is appreciated. During my time at ZIWIRA, I was given the freedom to basically create a role for myself. I took the initiative to get out there, and see things, meet people, conduct interviews - and now I have multiple published interviews, reviews, and features in the magazine, which I don't think would have been possible in Auckland at my age, with my lack of experience. THAT is why you move to Dubai.

An interesting experience I had after a couple weeks of working was doing a "visa run". Because there are so many visas being processed all the time in Dubai, they can take longer than expected. When I arrived in Dubai, I was on a 30 day visiting visa (Kiwi's are super fortunate that in most cases we don't need to sort a visa before arrival.) During those 30 days, my company was processing my visa, however, I was told it wouldn't be ready by the time the 30 days was over.

So a colleague and I did a road trip to neighboring Oman where we were able to exit the country by entering Oman, then re-entering the UAE with a further 30 day visiting visa, giving us more time to wait for our work visas. During the road trip, I was able to see rural desert life with my own eyes. Vast desert dunes, and small business operations making the most of people like us doing visa runs. I was so happy to see Popeye's Chicken! It was a great experience. I found myself endlessly talking to my colleague Elisha (from UK) about New Zealand, and came to realize just how much I appreciated home now that I wasn't there anymore. I believe wholeheartedly that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

TIME TO ADJUST

Surprisingly, life in Dubai hasn't been all that difficult to adjust to. I've found that people here are so used to friends coming and going, so I wasn't the "newby" for very long. When you meet someone here, the first thing you ask them is "so, where are you from?" One significant adjustment I have made, is living without a car. I was lucky to have my own car to cruise around in when I was living in Auckland. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to afford a car (or even hire one), so I've made my way around on foot. Luckily my job was in reasonable walking distance. However, I underestimated how hot it can get in summer. During Ramadan (Muslim celebratory month of fasting), employers are only required to work half days, and we finished up at 2pm. Walking home at 2pm (in the mid-summer heat) was like being in a nightmare. I often forget that Silicon Oasis (where I am living/working) has been established in the desert. One day I walked home in 50 degrees Celsius. I learnt my lesson, and from now on, a colleague kindly drops me home.

I've been lucky with my job that I have had the freedom to travel lots, to meet with individuals to interview for the magazine - it's been a great way to see the country. I recently traveled to Abu Dhabi to meet with a chef for a review/interview. Even though the UAE is so far from my home, and don't get me wrong, I get homesick ALL the time, moving to a completely different country by myself has been an extremely rewarding experience - one that I would recommend to anyone feeling a bit stale in their present circumstance.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Comments

  1. Well done Zane. I loved reading this. I struggle relocating to sydney let alone Dubai. Keep the posts coming xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment